Saturday, December 27, 2008

AN ESSAY ON BEING ONE'S OWN BEST AND WORST CRITIC By Robert L. Huffstutter

AN ESSAY ON BEING ONE'S OWN BEST AND WORST CRITIC
By Robert L. Huffstutter

It is my opinion that this is a great photograph. Not one to boast, i looked at this photo time and again before i finally saw the merits of it and confessed, in public, that i had, at last, created a minor masterpiece. Not boastful, oh', no, i must admit that the contrast is most intense, thus it enhances that washed look that one pays a premium for when purchasing fine hardwoods with a primitive patina. No, it will not win a calvalcade of awards and whimsical doodads, shiny buttons, etc, but i will take satisfaction in the knowledge that i can see the merits of this image if nobody else can. Thus, the life of being one's best and worst critic is a lonely and unrewarding task, but one that will either bless or curse the endeavors and the efforts. And when all is done, what will it really matter? Nevertheless, we continue to strive for excellence, not really knowing if it will make a difference a century from now, or even next month.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
My dad's dad, my grandfather, was nine years old when President Lincoln died from an assassin's bullet. Most people think I am speaking of my GREAT GRANDFATHER. NO, I am referring to my dad's father, my paternal Grandfather, Robert Levi Huffstutter, born in 1856. What does this information have to do with my profile? It might help the reader understand that I have a sense of being much older than I am in that only one generation seperates me from President Lincoln. This causes me to respond differently to society and many current events. In many respects, this is to my benefit, in other respects it dates my mindset. Perhaps this is the reason I value the moral standards and idealogies of older Americans, the men who were the soldiers and sailors I saw when I was a small boy,the men and women who fought a war for freedom without any doubts posted by a media with a questionable lack of national unity and purpose.